As Mr. and Mrs. King were having their house designed and built in 1926, they were also having their landscape designed and built under the direction of the Cleveland landscape architecture firm of Pitkin and Mott. Of particular note is the featured garden that is still extant and referred to today as the Formal Garden.
The gardens were built around the King's existing swimming pool. A couple of interesting features of the garden are that the pool could not be accessed without walking through an adjoining garden room and the turf of the swimming pool area was mint.
While many important features are missing now, over eighty years since its creation, the gardens retain considerable historical integrity.
Today the Formal Garden is used to display seasonal plantings of annuals and tulips. New designs are created annually, although the long term ambition is to restore the garden to its historical origins. Currently Kingwood lacks the resources for that project.