- Full Time
Core Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday-Friday (some weekend hours WILL be required)
Reports to: Head Gardener
About Kingwood Center Gardens:
Built in 1926, Kingwood Center Gardens is the 47 acre historic estate of Charles Kelley King in Mansfield, Ohio. Following Mr. King’s death in 1952, the estate was opened as a public garden in 1953. Kingwood Center Gardens is a cultural and educational center with a mission to create exemplary gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration.
The Assistant Gardener performs an important role in assisting horticultural staff in routine and skilled garden maintenance tasks in any garden area where help is needed. In addition, the Assistant Gardener will aid in plant records and plant labeling. The Assistant Gardener may be assigned other work in a manner that meets the needs of Kingwood Center Gardens. Occasionally heavy lifting and work in inclement weather will be required. The position will work primarily Monday thru Friday, but some weekend work will be required.
- Carry out typical garden tasks such as planting, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, and mulching.
- Operate necessary equipment, such as blowers, tillers, and utility vehicles.
- Assist in plant records and labeling.
- Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Bend or stoop for extended periods of time.
- Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
- Always work with gardening safety and best practices in mind.
- Willing to interact with the public in an informal way answering general questions.
- Continue to build and advance personal gardening knowledge.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 year of horticulture, gardening, or other related experience preferred.
- Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered.
- Knowledge of plants, gardens, and gardening practices.
- Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.
- Ability to see small details.