History Intern for Kingwood Center Gardens
Dedicated in 1953, Kingwood Center Gardens is a cultural and educational center with special emphasis on ornamental horticulture and gardening. The Kingwood mission is “to create beautiful gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration”.
This part time paid internship opportunity is available to college students who have a demonstrated knowledge of and interest in historical preservation, museum curation and the hospitality industry. The History Internship position is designed to provide practical experience, with supervision from the Visitors Services Director and Admissions Supervisor, in all components of the Visitors Services department with a strong focus on preservation and historical interpretation. This internship will have the opportunity to lead tours, assist in the restoration and curation of Kingwood Hall, a popular tourist destination, and work broadly with multiple departments at Kingwood Center Gardens to gain a broad understanding of how a non-profit estate garden operates.
- Work with the Visitors Services Director and other staff to develop upcoming history related educational workshops to be offered to the public at Kingwood Center Gardens.
- Assist with organizing, filing, staging, interpretation, and preservation of Kingwood Hall.
- Lead and further develop historical tours of Kingwood Hall.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidates must have strong organizational skills, attention to detail and be comfortable working with the public in both organized and informal situations.
- Candidates with an educational focus on history or museum studies is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including some evenings and weekends.
- Must be enrolled in a college or university during the 2020 – 2021 school year.