Greenhouse Intern Job Description
Position Type: $10/hr , Monday-Friday with rotational weekend schedule required
About Kingwood Center Gardens: Join our horticulture team as we embark on our grand expansion with a new visitor center, a wide assortment of new gardens, and a whole new visitor experience. The 47-acre Kingwood estate was built in 1926 by Charles Kelly King. He established a trust to operate it as a public garden following his death in 1952. Kingwood Center is a cultural and educational center with a mission to create exemplary gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration, and we are currently in the midst of our largest expansion in our history.
Description: This position reports directly to the Greenhouse Supervisor. The Greenhouse Intern will learn about transplanting, water control, pest control, and many other aspects of working in a greenhouse facility. The intern will also work in the Garden Shop, gaining experience in a retail setting including merchandizing, using a POS system, and working with customers.
- Watering, propagating, weeding, planting, deadheading in greenhouse
- Process sales using POS system in retail shop
- Aid Greenhouse Supervisor in production and display greenhouses
- Planting, watering, weeding and other garden tasks in display areas
- Monitor for pests with guidance of Greenhouse Supervisor
- Operate necessary equipment including utility vehicles.
- Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift to 50 pounds.
- Rapidly perform required tasks with accuracy.
- Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
- Always work with gardening safety and best practices in mind.
- Willingness to interact with the public in an informal way answering general questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Enrollment in Horticulture program preferred, not required
- Formal or informal knowledge of garden plants
- Interest in learning more about Gardens, Greenhouse Production and Garden Shop management
- Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks in extreme temperatures
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.