Greenhouse Assistant Job Description
Position Type: $10/hr , Part Time, Seasonal, Monday-Friday with evenings and weekends required
About Kingwood Center Gardens:
Join our horticulture team as we embark on our grand expansion with a new visitor center, a wide assortment of new gardens, and a whole new visitor experience. The 47-acre Kingwood estate was built in 1926 by Charles Kelly King. He established a trust to operate it as a public garden following his death in 1952. Kingwood Center is a cultural and educational center with a mission to create exemplary gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration, and we are currently in the midst of our largest expansion in our history.
This position reports directly to the Greenhouse Supervisor. The Greenhouse Assistant
will learn about transplanting, water control, pest control, and many other aspects of working in a greenhouse facility. The intern will also work in the Garden Shop, gaining experience in a retail setting including merchandising, using a POS system, and working with customers.
- Watering, propagating, weeding, planting, deadheading in greenhouse
- Process sales using POS system in retail shop
- Aid Greenhouse Supervisor in production and display greenhouses
- Planting, watering, weeding and other garden tasks in display areas
- Monitor for pests with guidance of Greenhouse Supervisor
- Operate necessary equipment including utility vehicles.
- Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift to 50 pounds.
- Rapidly perform required tasks with accuracy.
- Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
- Always work with gardening safety and best practices in mind.
- Willingness to interact with the public in an informal way answering general questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Formal or informal knowledge of garden plants
- Interest in learning more about Gardens, Greenhouse Production and Garden Shop management
- Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks in extreme temperatures
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.