Thank you for your interest in Kingwood Center Gardens!
Garden Shop Supervisor
Dedicated in 1953, Kingwood Center Gardens is a cultural and educational center with special emphasis on ornamental horticulture and gardening. Kingwood’s mission is to create beautiful gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration. In the Spring of 2019, Kingwood broke ground on The Garden Gateway, a transformative project that will help redefine the guest’s visit. Set to open in summer 2020, the new welcome center includes, a ballroom, café, and a new and expanded giftshop and retail plant sales areas.
This position is a full-time, salaried position that reports to the Director of Horticulture. The retail operations supervisor manages day to day retail operations at Kingwood Center Gardens which consist of the indoor gift shop area, the retail greenhouse, and the outdoor plant sales area. This position works closely with both the Horticulture and Visitors Service Departments to confirm that the needs of Kingwood Center Gardens retail, staffing, and open hours are met. It is also the goal of this position to confirm guests are provided excellent customer service while shopping our retail spaces.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Garden Shop Supervisor manages all visual merchandising in retail locations and maintains the quality of displays. Responsibilities include coordinating and displaying all plant and gift shop merchandise while maintaining accurate inventory records using a POS system. This position is responsible for hiring, training, and motivating seasonal employees who will help present a positive experience to Kingwood guests. It is essential that the Garden Shop Supervisor work collaboratively with greenhouse production and visitor services staff, while also being able to work independently. Some weekend/holiday work is required.
The ideal candidate for the Garden Shop Supervisor position will have a college degree or its equivalent in business management, horticulture or a related field. The candidate should also have extensive plant knowledge, retail/garden center experience, great organizational skills and have a desire to help Kingwood’s guests.
Department: Development and Marketing
Reports to: Director of Development and Marketing
Part-Time / Year Round
Purpose: To support administrative, marketing, and communication needs; to assist in the implementation of communications strategies and projects
- Support the maintenance of an accurate, efficient and current database in Altru
- Assist in the preparation and handling of Kingwood correspondence related to memberships, sponsorships and fundraising initiatives (renewals, acknowledgements, bulk mail projects, etc.)
- Customer service: online and phone support
- Ongoing Altru education and mastery in order to properly handle customer records, sales transactions, data interpretation and reporting
- Additional duties as assigned
- Provide administrative support for marketing and communication needs across various departments and programs
- Assist with maintaining website, social media, and marketing efforts according to branding and content guidelines
- Assist with acknowledgement of sponsors across all media avenues along with sponsor benefit deliverables
- Gather and collate photo/media collection for promotion and general use on an ongoing basis
- Assist with brochures, flyers, event promotion and other publications
- Regularly audit internal and external Kingwood public information for accuracy
- Event support as needed
- Additional duties as assigned
- As the Development and Marketing Department grows, this position has the potential to increase responsibilities with fund raising initiatives and marketing projects
- Creative and self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Customer-oriented approach
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs; basic photo editing skills preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Comfortable working with the public
- Experience in marketing or communications preferred
- BS / BA or associate degree in a related field is preferred
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings and weekends