Accepting Applications: Until position is filled
Number of Positions: One
Position Type: Hourly
Seasonal Part Time
Core Hours: 7:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday-Friday (some weekend hours WILL be required)
About Kingwood Center Gardens:
Join our horticulture team as we embark on our grand expansion with a new visitor center, a wide assortment of new gardens, and a whole new visitor experience. The 47-acre Kingwood estate was built in 1926 by Charles Kelly King. He established a trust to operate it as a public garden following his death in 1952. Kingwood Center is a cultural and educational center with a mission to create exemplary gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration, and we are currently amid our largest expansion in our history.
The seasonal groundskeeper reports directly to an assigned full-time member of the horticulture department including gardeners and groundskeepers. The seasonal groundskeeper performs an important role in assisting with the installation and maintenance of new garden areas as well as helping maintain the grounds. This position will mainly be assisting the Grounds staff maintaining lawns, edging, and fertilizing as well as assisting in garden areas that are part of the Garden Gateway Project set to open in the fall of 2020. However other work may be assigned in a manner that meets the needs of Kingwood Center. The position will work primarily Monday thru Friday, but some occasional evening and/or weekend work may be required.
- Carry out typical garden tasks such as planting, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, and mulching.
- Operate necessary equipment, such as mowers, blowers, hedge trimmers, tillers, and utility vehicles and tractors.
- Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift to 50 pounds.
- Bend or stoop for extended periods of time, walk various terrain and climb ladders.
- Rapidly perform required tasks with accuracy.
- Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
- Always working with gardening safety and best practices in mind.
- Willingness to interact with the public in an informal way answering general questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 year of horticulture, gardening, or other related experience preferred.
- Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered.
- Knowledge of plants, gardens, and gardening practices.
- Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.
- Ability to see small details.