Until positions are filled
Number of Positions:
- Seasonal April – October
- Full or part time (seasonal)
7:00 AM – 3:30 PM Monday-Friday (some weekend hours WILL be required)
About Kingwood Center Gardens:
Built in 1926, Kingwood Center is the 47 acre historic estate of Charley Kelly King in Mansfield, Ohio. Following Mr. King’s death in 1952, the estate was opened as a public garden in 1953. Kingwood Center is a cultural and educational center with a mission to create exemplary gardens for enjoyment, education, and inspiration.
The Seasonal Gardener reports directly to an assigned full-time member of the horticulture department including gardeners and groundskeepers. The seasonal gardener performs an important role in assisting with the installation and maintenance of new garden areas. This position focuses in garden areas that are part of the Garden Gateway Project set to open in the spring/summer of 2020, however other work may be assigned in a manner that meets the needs of Kingwood Center. The position will work primarily Monday thru Friday, but some weekend work will be required.
- Carry out typical garden tasks such as planting, watering, weeding, pruning, deadheading, and mulching.
- Operate necessary equipment, such as blowers, tillers, and utility vehicles.
- Utilize garden tools and perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions.
- Regularly lift 35 pounds and occasionally lift up to 50 pounds.
- Bend or stoop for extended periods of time.
- Rapidly perform required tasks with accuracy.
- Work independently while being productive and making efficient use of time.
- Always working with gardening safety and best practices in mind.
- Willingness to interact with the public in an informal way answering general questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of 1 year of horticulture, gardening, or other related experience preferred.
- Other combinations of education/experience appropriate to the job will be considered.
- Knowledge of plants, gardens, and gardening practices.
- Sufficiently physically fit to perform required tasks.
- Ability to understand and follow directions.
- Positive attitude to foster a productive and welcoming environment for staff and guests.
- Ability to see small details.