Thank you for your interest in Kingwood Center Gardens!
Kingwood Center Gardens is currently in search for gardener passionate about plants to join our team. This position will be critical to helping transform our gardens as we enter construction on the new Garden Gateway project as well as continue to improve existing gardens here at Kingwood Center Gardens. If you have a passion for creating beautiful gardens to educate and inspire, this job may be for you.
This position reports to the Head Gardener. It is a position of skill, knowledge, responsibility, and self-initiative. Kingwood Center is an important community and professional source of plant and garden expertise. The Gardener is expected to be a significant contributor to that expertise. The Gardener will be assigned gardens that are to be developed and maintained by the Gardener. The overarching purpose of every garden will be to contribute to the mission of Kingwood Center to advance the knowledge and appreciation of gardening. The Gardener will contribute to the achievement of this mission not only through gardening but also by sharing their gardening knowledge through an assortment of means such as writing, making presentations, hands-on teaching, and so forth. Over time the Gardener should be able to present each of the gardens under their care as an example of their gardening skill and creativity.
The Gardener will also work as deemed necessary with other staff on other gardening projects outside the specific gardens assigned to them. This work may include large installation projects such as new gardens or the annual plantings of bulbs and annuals. It may also include assisting with other Kingwood Center activities such as special events or just the basic operation of Kingwood Center.
- Operate equipment, utilize tools, and perform heavy manual labor in all sorts of weather to bring each their gardens to the standards expected.
- Ability to regularly and repeatedly lift 35 pounds and the ability to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds is expected.
- Demonstrate initiative in plant selection, acquisition, installation and care in a manner consistent with expectations for their gardens. The Gardener is also expected to take the initiative in such gardening practices as weeding, pruning, mulching, irrigation, soil amendments, design, and pesticide applications while following guidelines and standards established by the supervisor and the institution in general.
- The Gardener is expected to continue to build and advance their gardening knowledge.
- The Gardener is expected to be open and free with the sharing of their skill and knowledge not only through formal Kingwood Center programming but during their daily work.
- Able to work independently while being productive and making efficient use of their time.
- The Gardener is expected to be constantly evaluating their gardens for means of improving them through better design, the addition or subtraction of plants, better cultural care, the addition of non-plant features and etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Formal education in horticulture (or equivalent experience) on which they have continued to build and expand their knowledge.
- They should have advanced knowledge of plants, gardens, and gardening practices.
- They should be sufficiently physically fit to perform heavy garden labor in all types of weather.
- They should be eager to create and develop gardens while never being satisfied that improvements cannot be made.
- They should have communication skills sufficient to perform their role in advancing the mission of Kingwood Center. These may include writing, public speaking, and hands-on instruction.
- They should be personable and easy to work with so they may work effectively with other staff and with volunteers.
To apply email resume to:
Mark Hoover, Head Gardener
Visitors Services Support Staff Position
Seeking an outgoing, energetic individual to assist our visitors. This position will work with admissions and ticketing, event setups, and security. A flexible work schedule, ability to work weekends and outdoors, as well as the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. are required for this position.
$9.00 an hour. Part time, approx. 24 hours a week from now until the end of Dec.
*Please note that applications are only accepted for currently advertised job openings and all applications will be kept on record for 90 days.