Thank you for your interest in Kingwood Center Gardens!
Head Gardener Job Posting
Kingwood Center Gardens in Mansfield, Ohio is seeking a Head Gardener to oversee Kingwood’s formal and informal gardens. Built in 1926 for Mr. and Mrs. Charles Kelley King, the 47-acre estate opened as a public garden in 1953, one year after Mr. King's death. He left his home and most of his accumulated wealth to the private foundation that continues to operate Kingwood Center today as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. Kingwood Center Gardens develops and displays exemplary gardens on the former estate for the pleasure and education of its constituents. Auxiliary activities and programs are offered to support and to accentuate the enjoyment and understanding of the gardens and horticulture.
This position is perfect for an individual who enjoys gardening and has acquired a diverse and extensive horticulture skill set. It provides the successful candidate the opportunity to immerse themselves into gardening while supervising four skilled gardeners and affiliated seasonals and volunteers. This position reports directly to the Director of Horticulture as one of three horticultural managers. The other two horticultural managers who report to the Director of Horticulture manage the greenhouse and the general grounds. The Head Gardener position offers diverse and challenging responsibilities and the opportunity to craft great gardens and a fulfilling career. This position will be filled by a passionate horticulturist with experience, expertise, and professionalism, who is eager to share their experiences and knowledge with others.
This position is also directly involved with the completion of the new Garden Gateway Project, which includes building a new visitor’s center, the addition of new gardens and renovations to existing ones. The Head Gardener will help coordinate planting and care of plant material used in the project and lead the maintenance of these gardens once finished in spring of 2020.
Kingwood provides benefits including, health insurance, 401k, vacation, holidays and more.
Submit the following to:
Mark Hoover, Director of Horticulture
- Resume/Cover Letter
- References will be required of finalists
Kingwood Center Gardens' Head Gardener supervises the operation of our gardens. The Head Gardener is responsible for providing experience, expertise, and professionalism and is eager to share their experiences and knowledge with others. Kingwood’s Head gardener reports directly to the Director of Horticulture. The Head Gardener will supervise other gardeners and seasonal staff and collaborate with team members within the Horticulture Department. The Head Gardener oversees the maintenance and development of Kingwood’s gardens. They accomplish this by applying standard, as well as specialized horticultural practices which include, but will not be limited to: landscape/garden design, weeding, trimming, watering, pruning, planting, shoveling, raking, use of power equipment, pest & disease identification and control, irrigation systems, stonework, balling and burlap, propagation, and mowing.
- Contributes to the design and supervises the implementation of our seasonal displays
- Oversees Kingwood’s garden development
- Garden crew supervisor: Involves time management, training of other gardeners, assures that the gardeners work diligently and carefully to obtain the short-term and long-term goals of the gardens and makes sure that all gardeners can accomplish tasks on their own accord and collectively as a group.
- Diseases and Pest identification and provide course of action for resolving the pest or disease issue
- Maintain plant records for gardens
- Oversee the process of creating and labeling plant material
- Conduct speaking engagements, workshops, demonstrations on experiences and knowledge within Horticulture
- Assessment and curation of hardscapes at Kingwood
- Bachelors Degree, preferably in a plant science such as horticulture, equivalent experience may be considered
- Valid Driver License
- Willing to work in all types of weather
- Physically able to bend over, kneel, and lift objects up to 70 pounds in weight
- Basic knowledge of database configuration and data entry (Microsoft Excel and Access)
- Well-developed speaking and writing skills